Smell the Roses: Take Some Time Out!

This year didn't quite turn out the way I thought it would. Serving on the OUSA executive as the inaugural Queer Rep altered my plans dramatically. Yet this alteration actually worked in my favour rather than against me. Since the job took up much more of my time than I was anticipating and I was having problems with the programme's administration, I decided to temporarily withdraw from my studies. This year's executive service not only helped me to act upon the beliefs I was researching in my MA but it also gave me better insight into serving something bigger than myself - a vital aspect of directing.

A further aspect of time is that it lets things "percolate" for a while. I think I started my MA because it was the logical continuation of my undergrad work. Yet, this is not enough of an incentive to undertaking PG study. After thinking for a while - and having started a Diploma in Adult Education and Training through SIT - I now have much more direction in what I am actually wanting to achieve with tertiary study. Although I still fervently believe that one goes to university to learn, that is learning for learning's sake, rather than to get a job. I guess it is only natural that this fascination with learning should lead me to investigating how the process actually happens. I have known for a while that I was aiming for a career in the academy but now I have more focus on how to actually achieve that goal. Indeed, my MA in Theatre Studies is a vital means to the end I desire.

0 Comments: